Current:Home > MarketsDrew Barrymore pauses her talk show's premiere until strike ends: 'My deepest apologies' -Capitatum
Drew Barrymore pauses her talk show's premiere until strike ends: 'My deepest apologies'
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 00:54:34
Drew Barrymore has decided to pause the return of her talk show amid backlash.
"I have listened to everyone, and I am making the decision to pause the show’s premiere until the strike is over. I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt and, of course, to our incredible team who works on the show and has made it what it is today," Barrymore wrote on Instagram Sunday.
She added: "We really tried to find our way forward. And I truly hope for a resolution for the entire industry very soon."
The show was slated to return on Monday.
"We support Drew’s decision to pause the show’s return and understand how complex and difficult this process has been for her," a CBS Media Ventures spokesperson said in a statement provided to USA TODAY.
Barrymore has faced backlash since announcing on Sept. 10 that her show was planning a return amid the ongoing writers strike.
The Writers Guild of America, the union representing most of the writers behind your favorite TV shows and films, went on strike at the beginning of May, fighting for improved compensation, benefits and other issues.
In a lengthy statement on Instagram last week, Barrymore said that she was "making the choice to come back for the first time in this strike for our show, that may have my name on it but this is bigger than just me."
"I own this choice. We are in compliance with not discussing or promoting film and television that is struck of any kind," she wrote.
Barrymore acknowledged that some people may feel conflicted because she stepped down as host of the MTV Movie & TV Awards in solidarity with writers.
"I was the host and it had a direct conflict with what the strike was dealing with which was studios, streamers, film and television. It was also in the first week of the strike and so I did what I thought was the appropriate thing at the time to stand in solidarity with the writers," the actress said.
The post announcing her return has since been deleted.
Barrymore also posted a lengthy, now-deleted video on Instagram Friday, telling fans, "I know there is just nothing I can do that will make this OK to those that it is not OK with. I fully accept that. I just want everyone to know my intentions have never been in a place to upset or hurt anymore. It’s not who I am."
"I wanted to own a decision so that it wasn't a PR, protected situation," she said in the teary-eyed video. "I've been through so many ups and downs in my life and this is one of them. I deeply apologize to (the writers). I deeply apologize to unions. I deeply apologize. I don't exactly know what to say because sometimes when things are so tough, it's hard to make decisions from that place."
The "Charlie's Angels" star elaborated on her decision to return. "Why am I doing this? Well, I certainly couldn't have expected this kind of attention, and we aren’t going to break rules, and we will be in compliance. ... There are other people's jobs on the line," she said.
Previous:Drew Barrymore's talk show to return amid strike; WGA plans to picket outside studio
"The Drew Barrymore Show" wrapped filming Season 3 in April for a summer hiatus. Upon returning to film Season 4, a CBS Media Ventures spokesperson told USA TODAY that the show would "not be performing any writing work covered by the WGA strike."
'The Talk,' 'The Jennifer Hudson Show' pause returns following Drew Barrymore backlash
As long as talk show hosts and guests don’t discuss or promote work covered by television, theatrical or streaming contracts, they’re not technically breaking the strike. That’s because talk shows are covered under a separate contract from the one actors and writers are striking. The contract also covers reality TV, sports, morning news shows, soap operas and game shows.
WGA members picketed outside Barrymore's studio on Monday and Tuesday. The talk show is taped at the CBS Broadcast Center in New York.
Barrymore faced backlash from members of the WGA and lost out on a hosting gig. The National Book Awards organization rescinded her invitation as host "in light of the announcement that ‘The Drew Barrymore Show’ will resume production."
"The Drew Barrymore Show" wasn’t the only daytime show scheduled to resume. "The View" is back for its 27th season on ABC, while "Tamron Hall" and "Live With Kelly and Mark" have also been producing fresh episodes.
"The Talk" was set to return Monday. However, CBS said Sunday in a statement following Barrymore's postponement, " 'The Talk' is pausing its season premiere scheduled for September 18. We will continue to evaluate plans for a new launch date."
"The Jennifer Hudson Show" also planned to restart Monday, but decided to halt production and delay the season premiere at Hudson's urging, a source familiar with the situation but not authorized to speak publicly tells USA TODAY.
Contributing: Kim Willis, Gary Levin and Kelly Lawler, USA TODAY, and Mark Kennedy, The Associated Press
Drew Barrymore droppedas National Book Awards host after her talk show resumes during strike
veryGood! (6378)
Related
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Pete Rose made history in WWE: How he became a WWE Hall of Famer
- Man charged with attempting to assassinate Trump will appear in court
- Colton Underwood and Husband Jordan C. Brown Welcome First Baby
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Gavin Creel, Tony Award-Winning Actor, Dead at 48 After Battle With Rare Cancer
- 2024 NBA Media Day: Live updates, highlights and how to watch
- Biden says Olympians represented ‘the very best of America’
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Major League Baseball scraps criticized All-Star Game uniforms and goes back to team jerseys
Ranking
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- RHONY's Brynn Whitfield Addresses Costar Rebecca Minkoff's Scientology Past
- 'THANK YOU SO MUCH': How social media is helping locate the missing after Helene
- 'Surreal' scope of devastation in Asheville, North Carolina: 'Our hearts are broken'
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Identical Twin Influencers Defend Decision to Share Underwear and One Bra
- Kris Kristofferson was ‘a walking contradiction,’ a renegade and pilgrim surrounded by friends
- Sabrina Carpenter Jokes About Her Role in Eric Adams’ Federal Investigation
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
NFL Week 4 winners, losers: Steelers, Eagles pay for stumbles
Buffalo’s longest-serving mayor is leaving City Hall for a betting agency
5 dead, including minor, after plane crashes near Wright Brothers memorial in North Carolina
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
Hall of Fame center Dikembe Mutombo dies of brain cancer at 58
Justice Department will launch civil rights review into 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre
Fantasy football buy low, sell high: 10 trade targets for Week 5